Engineers need specialized software, tools, and apps to research and develop ideas for new products and their associated systems. They require the ability to create blueprints and schematics for structures, systems, machines, and equipment, and work collaboratively with other team members in a productive and efficient way. Therefore, design engineers require software, tools, and apps to streamline their design and development processes. Here, we have prepared a list of the top drawing applications for engineers.
Top Drawing Applications for Engineers:
There are many software packages used by mechanical engineers, but there are a few that are used consistently throughout the industry. The specifications depend upon the requirement of the design. However, every engineer should have a basic familiarity with the applications listed below:
- PTC MathCAD
- Finite Element Analysis Software
- TurboCAD Professional 2020
- ActCAD Professional 2020
- HydroCAD Stormwater Modeling
AutoCAD, a computer-aided design software, is one of the top drawing applications for engineers, architects, and construction professionals to create precise 2D and 3D drawings.
- Draft, annotate, and design 2D geometry and 3D models with solids, surfaces, and mesh objects
- Automate tasks such as comparing drawings, adding blocks, creating schedules, and more
- Customize with add-on apps and APIs
Product available at: AUTODESK
PTC MathCAD is designing software for precise calculation and designing of their objects. It assists in Analyzing, Solving, Documentation, and Sharing the designs easily. Using PTC Mathcad’s rich array of mathematical functions, you can document the critical engineering calculations as easily.
- Ability to write and evaluate equations
- Unit conversion
- Linear algebra for solving 3D statics problems, linear equations, etc.
- Symbolic equation solver for integral of some complex equation
Product available at: PTC MathCAD
Finite Element Analysis Software
AutoDesk Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a computerized technique for estimating how a product reacts to real-world forces, vibration, heat, fluid flow, and other physical effects. It shows whether a product will break, wear out, or work the way it was designed.
It helps predict the behavior of products affected by physical effects, such as:
- Mechanical stress and vibration
- Heat transfer
- Fluid flow
- Plastic injection molding
Product available at: AUTODESK
TurboCAD 2020 Designer is a 2D Drafting solution for new users of CAD. You can quickly draw, modify, dimension, and annotate floorplans, technical illustrations, and any other productive 2D designs.
- Architectural Drawings
- Remodeling plans
- Floor Plans
- Interior Design Layouts
- Landscape Design Plans
- Electrical Diagrams
- Mechanical Designs
- 2D drafting, diagraming and schematic drawings
Available at: TurboCAD
SmartDraw is one of the easy and affordable engineering design software for creating engineering designs of all kinds.
You can choose one of the many engineering templates included like an electrical schematic, wiring diagram, floor plan, or piping diagram. You’ll get relevant technical and engineering symbol libraries and an intuitive toolset for drawing.
- Built-in Templates
- Extensive Engineering Symbol Libraries
- Intuitive Interface
- Works on any device
- Free support
Available at: SmartDRAW Engineering Design Software
CADMATE is a powerful, modern, and customizable design tool for engineers. It has similar commands, tools, toolbars, menus, and palettes as of AutoCAD, thus, AutoCAD users can master CADMATE easily. It can quickly open, edit, and save multiple drawings simultaneously without utilizing a large number of system resources.
- 2D and 3D Drafting
- 3D Face and Mesh Modeling
- Layer States Manager
- Layer Properties Manager
- Design Centre
- CAD Table to Excel
Available at: CADMATE
ActCAD is a professional 2D Drafting and 3D Modeling CAD Software suitable for all engineering domains. Its similar interface and narrow learning curve make it easy for ActCAD. ActCAD uses the IntelliCAD engine, Open Design Alliance DWG/DXF Libraries, ACIS 3D Modeling Kernel, and many other Technologies.
- Tool Palettes
- Image to DFX conversion
- Supports DGN, STL, OBJ, 2D, PDF, SVG and many formats
- Attach Digital Signature to DWG file & Validate it
Available at: ACTCAD
GeoHECRAS is a top drawing application for engineers. It speeds up HEC-RAS model creation and review, engineering workflow, producing better and more accurate results. It can compute water surface profiles for steady and unsteady flow models, bridge and culvert roadway crossings, FEMA floodplain encroachments, stream restorations, inline reservoir structures, off-channel storage areas, and much more.
- Works simultaneously on multiple HEC-RAS models
- Easy to Learn and Use
- CAD & GIS Integration
- Digital Terrain Cross Section Cutting
- Floodplain and Floodway Mapping
- 2D Mesh Generation and Refinement
Available at: CivilGEO Ready To Engineer
FreeCAD is an open-source parametric 3D modeler for designing real-life objects of any size. FreeCAD allows you to sketch geometry constrained 2D shapes and use them as a base to build other objects. Also, it helps to adjust dimensions or extract design details from 3D models for creating high-quality production-ready drawings.
- Create 3D from 2D and back
- Parametric modeling to easily modify design
- 2D constrained geometric drawings
- Accessible, flexible, and integrated
Available at: FreeCAD Web
HydroCAD is a Computer-Aided Design tool used by Civil Engineers for modeling stormwater runoff. It is ideal for studies using the TR-20, TR-55, or SBUH methods. HydroCAD provides a wide range of commonly used hydrology and hydraulics capabilities including:
- Automatic layout and modeling of underground storage systems
- Land-use analysis and pollutant loading calculations
- Built-in CAD watershed import
- Runs on any Windows PC – No other CAD software required
- Rational Method with automatic IDF curves
- Advanced flow simulations including pumps and float valves
- Progressive dam breach simulations
Also, check out the list of Top 10 Mobile Apps for Engineers
We are really delighted with your response and positive feedback for us. Also, we are extremely thankful for your support.
Let’s read jointly, let’s learn jointly, let’s be there for each other jointly.
Watch the video for this article at our YouTube Channel JointWatch